Exchange 2007 Web Services stop responding after a few hours

I recently had an issue with one of my customers where the Exchange Web Services in Exchange 2007 would stop responding after a few hours on Small Business Server 2008.  When this happened, the following features seemed to stop working:

  • Outlook Anywhere
  • Remote Web Workplace (users could login, but not connect to any machines)
  • BlackBerry Internet Service accounts using OWA would stop working
  • Test-Webservicesconnectivity from the Exchange 2007 shell would return 401 errors

By restarting IIS, all this would work again for a seemingly random period of time, at which point it all stopped again.  There were no errors in the Event Logs or IIS logs, so it was quite frustrating.  I posted this on the BerryReview Forums, and found that a couple other people had the same problems.  I also later realized that Outlook 2007 users were constantly being prompted to login, despite being logged into domain PCs as domain users (and the login prompt had no bearing on Outlook’s functionality).

I never did discover the source of the problem, but I was on Exchange 2007 Service Pack 1 Update Rollup 7 when I ran into this.  I installed Update Rollup 9 and the problem went away…

Advertisements
  1. No comments yet.
  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: