Archive

Posts Tagged ‘Exchange’

Exchange 2010 – Cannot edit default E-mail Address Policy

February 9, 2010 4 comments

I wanted to try out the new version of Exchange and Server 2008 R2, so I downloaded and installed the Server 2008 R2 Enterprise Evaluation VHD (on my Hyper-V Server R2 machine), and installed Exchange 2010 RC.  Now, this problem could very well be limited to the RC, as I have not had a chance to test this on RTM, but I ran into a bit of a problem when trying to edit the default E-mail Address Policy.  I added an external domain name to the Accepted Domains and set it to Default, but when I tried to edit my Default EAP (via the Exchange Management Console) to include this new domain, I got the following:

Error:
The operation can’t be performed on the default e-mail address policy.

Exchange Management Shell command attempted:
set-EmailAddressPolicy -ConditionalDepartment @() -ConditionalCompany @() -ConditionalStateOrProvince @() -ConditionalCustomAttribute1 @() -ConditionalCustomAttribute2 @() -ConditionalCustomAttribute3 @() -ConditionalCustomAttribute4 @() -ConditionalCustomAttribute5 @() -ConditionalCustomAttribute6 @() -ConditionalCustomAttribute7 @() -ConditionalCustomAttribute8 @() -ConditionalCustomAttribute9 @() -ConditionalCustomAttribute10 @() -ConditionalCustomAttribute11 @() -ConditionalCustomAttribute12 @() -ConditionalCustomAttribute13 @() -ConditionalCustomAttribute14 @() -ConditionalCustomAttribute15 @() -RecipientContainer $null -EnabledEmailAddressTemplates ‘X400:c=US;a= ;p=MailOrg;o=Exchange;’,’SMTP:%f%l@v1testing.info’,’smtp:@exchtest.local’-Name ‘Default Policy’ -Identity ‘Default Policy’

I found a few posts out there on the InterWebs about this same problem, but everyone’s solution was to just create a new EAP.  My solution (after a lot of trial and error) was to copy the above command to the Exchange Management Shell and remove the -Name property.  Without this, my command ran fine, so it begs the question: If the -Name property of the set-EmailAddressPolicy cmdlet causes an error, why is it auto-generated from the Exchange Management Console?

Advertisements

Exchange 2007 Web Services stop responding after a few hours

February 2, 2010 Leave a comment

I recently had an issue with one of my customers where the Exchange Web Services in Exchange 2007 would stop responding after a few hours on Small Business Server 2008.  When this happened, the following features seemed to stop working:

  • Outlook Anywhere
  • Remote Web Workplace (users could login, but not connect to any machines)
  • BlackBerry Internet Service accounts using OWA would stop working
  • Test-Webservicesconnectivity from the Exchange 2007 shell would return 401 errors

By restarting IIS, all this would work again for a seemingly random period of time, at which point it all stopped again.  There were no errors in the Event Logs or IIS logs, so it was quite frustrating.  I posted this on the BerryReview Forums, and found that a couple other people had the same problems.  I also later realized that Outlook 2007 users were constantly being prompted to login, despite being logged into domain PCs as domain users (and the login prompt had no bearing on Outlook’s functionality).

I never did discover the source of the problem, but I was on Exchange 2007 Service Pack 1 Update Rollup 7 when I ran into this.  I installed Update Rollup 9 and the problem went away…